Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links.
Last Updated on July 1, 2020 by Diane Hoffmaster
When my husband and I were young and broke, our home decor consisted of whatever was cheap. Or furniture we found by the side of the road. Home decorating took a back seat to eating and paying the bills. When we needed a piece of furniture, we had to hit garage sales, not look for a home decor specialist. Now that we are older and have more money to spend, decorating our house is more important. I am still thrifty with my money, however, I would like my furniture to not be held together with duck tape like it used to be. I am working on finding my home decor style and thought I would share a few tips for your next room makeover.
Easy Decorating Tips for Your Home
Decorating doesn't have to be hard, nor does it have to take forever. The key is to find a look that feels like YOU. Decorating your home should bring out your unique personality. Not pigeonhole your house into some magazine niche. Here are some easy decorating tips to keep in mind before you start.
- Start at the front door: Your front door is the first place guests see. Replace old screen doors with new ones. Give your door a fresh coat of paint. Ditch the clutter as you walk in. Add a large potted citrus tree or a decorative hat rack.
- Keep the color on the walls neutral. Finding your home decor style is great but it will most likely NOT be the same as the person who comes after you. Selling your home is difficult when you have bold colored walls. Keep the walls beige and add pops of color with an accent wall, trim, or brightly colored pillows.
- Place the sofa and chair facing each other. It is hard to have a conversation when everyone is facing one direction. If you place the furniture in a circular area, your living room style may encourage free flowing conversation.
- Allow for natural light. Remove heavy drapes and let sunshine in. No matter what your decorating style is, no one will see it if it is too dark. Replace heavy drapes with a gauzy curtain if you want a window covering.
- Add accent pieces. A mirror makes your room look bigger. Do you love nature? Add plants and other natural elements. Toss brightly colored pillows on the couch or a willow basket full of magazines next to it. Find your decor style but don't let it hamper your creativity.
- Don't forget the walls. Look for local artists and support them. Invest in a custom frame to add a conversation starter to your room.
How to Decorate Your Home From Scratch
Want to remake an entire room? Have you just moved into a new home are want to find your home decor style? It's not as hard as you think it is! Don't necessarily look at your home as one giant decor project. Break it down room by room and start decorating your house bit by bit.
In order to tie pieces together a bit more easily, start with your largest spaces first. This will probably be the living room and/or kitchen since those are the rooms we use most often. Then, choose the largest piece of furniture that will go in the room. A couch for your living room, or a kitchen table for the kitchen. Then, work slowly to add smaller pieces to your room that fit with the focal piece you have already chosen.
More Home Decorating Tips
- DIY Home Decor Ideas That Won’t Break the Bank
- How To Add Texture To Your Home for a Peaceful and Relaxing Space
- Guest Bedroom Ideas To Make Company Feel at Home
Just adding a coat of paint is a great way to decorate your home on a budget. Newly painted trim will really brighten up a room if you don't think you can tackle the entire room. Head to the paint section of your local hardware store. They often have paint pallets that will help you choose colors for each room that will compliment one another without clashing.
Decorating your home doesn't have to be stressful. Unless you are trying to decorate your graduate student housing with cheap furniture only to find out it is infested with fleas. Now THAT was stressful. Using Havenly to find your unique home decor style is NOT stressful. In fact, you can sit back with a glass of wine and relax while you decorate! Have any home decorating style tips you want to share for our next room makeover? Check out HGTV for more tips on decorating your house!
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She has two college aged kids, one husband and more pets than she will admit to. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire but left her career in science to become a stay at home mom. Years of playing with LEGO and coloring with crayons had her craving a more grown up purpose to her life and she began blogging and freelance writing full time. You can learn more about her HERE.