Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on December 18, 2020 by Diane Hoffmaster
For the last couple of months, my blender has gotten quite a workout. My daughter was in a bad accident and broke her jaw in three places. She is, thankfully, on the road to recovery but I am plying her (and all of us!) with loads of healthy smoothies for maximum nutrition. This avocado fruit smoothie recipe is loaded with healthy ingredients and easy to make. If you are looking for nutritious smoothies to start your day, this one is perfect!
Avocado Smoothie Benefits
So, why add avocados to your fruit smoothies? Sounds like maybe a weird ingredient to blend up with fruit, right? Well, avocado smoothies are a delicious and healthy smoothie ingredient that you seriously need to try! Here are just a few avocado smoothie benefits that you can expect:
- Avocado Is Incredibly Nutritious! Avocados are loaded with 20 different vitamins and minerals. This makes it a great nutrient-dense food choice.
- They Contain More Potassium Than Bananas. Potassium is incredibly important in the human body. In addition to many other functions, it is important for normal growth and for building muscle.
- Avocado Is Loaded With Heart-Healthy Monounsaturated Fatty Acids. Yes, one of the best avocado smoothie benefits you can get is the fat content. Because avocados are loaded with HEALTHY fats!
- Avocados Are Loaded With Fiber. Don't we all need more fiber in our diets? Actually, YES, most of us really do!
- Eating Avocados Can Lower Cholesterol and Triglyceride Levels. This has to do with those healthy fats again. If you have trouble with cholesterol, eat more avocados!
If you really want to start adding more avocado to your diet, an avocado slicer might come in handy. In addition, check out the cookbook An Avocado a Day: More than 70 Recipes for Enjoying Nature's Most Delicious Superfood. It is seriously loaded with avocado recipes to help inspire you! We all need inspiration occasionally, right? Especially when we are trying to eat healthy!
Can you Taste Avocado in Smoothies?
So, healthy is great but how do avocado smoothies actually TASTE? This avocado fruit smoothie recipe is absolutely delicious! Avocados give smoothies a silky, creamy texture. As a result of their mild flavor, you really only taste the fruit. In addition to a creamy texture, avocados give fruit smoothies a slightly nutty flavor.
Seriously, after putting avocados in smoothies you won't ever want to skip it again! But, just in case you want some healthy smoothie recipes without avocado, here are a few to try:
Healthy Smoothie Recipes
- Banana Oatmeal Smoothie Recipe
- Healthy Cinnamon Apple Smoothie Recipe
- Tropical Sunrise High Protein Breakfast Smoothie Recipe
What Can I Use to Sweeten My Fruit Smoothie Recipe?
Smoothie sweeteners can be anything from fruit juice to honey, depending on your preferences. The simpler the sweetener, the healthier the smoothie. Even coconut water has some natural sweetness to it. Of course, go light on the sweetener to really get the flavor of this avocado smoothie. In addition to a sweetener, include a little vanilla extract, or some unsweetened cocoa powder or cinnamon. These are great ways to perk up your morning smoothie recipe!
Can You Prepare Avocado Smoothies the Night Before?
Are you busy in the morning? Life is chaotic and mornings are hectic. You can still enjoy avocado smoothies for breakfast, even if you are in a hurry. Make your smoothie the night before! Just blend it in the blender, adding a few tablespoons of citrus to your smoothie recipe. You can use lemon, lime, orange, etc. Then pour the smoothie into freezer-safe Mason jars, and freeze. The combination of acid and freezing will stop avocado smoothies from browning.
To thaw your smoothie, leave it in the freezer overnight or on the counter for a few hours. Then, just stir and enjoy! Freezing avocado smoothies helps maintain their fresh nutrients without letting it get brown and gross looking. If you are passionate about meal planning, freezing smoothies makes for an healthy breakfast idea.
Avocado Fruit Smoothie Recipe
This avocado fruit smoothie is very flexible. In addition to the ingredients listed below, add your own favorite smoothie ingredients. You can include everything from protein powders to chia seeds, depending on what's in the pantry. Add flax seed oil for additional healthy fats. Blend in frozen pineapple to boost digestion. There is no limit to the healthy smoothie ingredients you can add in there! Check out CookingLight.com for more healthy avocado recipes!
- 1 cup blueberries, frozen or fresh
- 1 cup greens, (baby spinach, kale, power greens, etc)
- 1 cup light coconut milk (or your favorite dairy/non diary beverage)
- ½ ripe avocado, skinned and pitted
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave syrup
- 1 scoop protein powder (I used Naked Whey + Matcha
- Blend all ingredients and enjoy!
Serving Size:1 to 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 430Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 197mgCarbohydrates: 48gSugar: 26gProtein: 22g
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She has two college aged kids, one husband and more pets than she will admit to. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire but left her career in science to become a stay at home mom. Years of playing with LEGO and coloring with crayons had her craving a more grown up purpose to her life and she began blogging and freelance writing full time. You can learn more about her HERE.