Last Updated on September 12, 2021 by Diane Hoffmaster
This Eggs and Pesto Toast Recipe is sponsored by Barilla. All opinions are my own.
Have you seen the viral TikTok recipe for pesto eggs? It's crazy popular right now and incredibly easy to make. If you are looking for a healthy breakfast toast recipe, this is it! Pesto eggs are a delicious breakfast trend to try this week. And you don't need a lot of time to make it happen, either.
Breakfast in my house has never really been a slow and lazy affair. It's a smoothie on the way to the gym. Or a granola bar on the way to work. Maybe a bowl of overnight oats as I check email. I am always on the lookout for quick and easy breakfast recipes to start my day off right.
This pesto toast recipe was just what I needed to satisfy my morning need for food and fuel. Eggs are loaded with protein and the addition of whole-grain bread and savory Barilla Creamy Genovese pesto made it absolutely delicious.
If you have 10 minutes to fry an egg and toast bread, you can make pesto egg toast. And if you really want, add a side of sliced tomatoes. Because tomatoes and pesto are the perfect combination.
Table of Contents
What you'll need to make this pesto toast
This eggs and pesto toast recipe uses very few ingredients. Of course, you can make your own pesto if you want but I used Barilla Creamy Genovese pesto. It's easy to keep a jar in the pantry until I need it and the flavor is simply delicious. Here's what else you will need for this pesto toast recipe.
- Basil pesto. While homemade pesto is easy and delicious, it's a seasonal thing in my house. I tried the Creamy Genovese pesto from Barilla and it was deliciously bold and flavorful. Loved the creamy texture!
- Eggs. 2 eggs
- Olive oil. Just a tablespoon or two for frying the eggs.
- Toasted Bread. I used two small pieces of multigrain bread.
- Fresh parsley. Just adds a bit of pizazz to the top. You can use fresh chives or microgreens if desired.
Barilla Creamy Genovese Pesto
This pesto sauce is imported from Italy and made with fresh basil and Italian cheese The creamy texture puts a unique twist on classic pesto sauce. If you are looking for ways to use pesto, here are a few suggestions:
- Stir into warm pasta
- Spread onto sandwiches or toast
- Marinate meats and vegetables
- Use as a dip for veggies and pita chips
Ready to enjoy right out of the jar. There is no need to heat it before using, which makes this jarred pesto sauce incredibly versatile. For more recipe inspiration, please visit Barilla.com.
How Do You Make Pesto Eggs?
So, the viral TikTok recipe for pesto eggs actually cooks the eggs in the pesto. Honestly, though, that seems unnecessary. Olive oil is healthy and easy to clean up. Fry eggs sunny side up in a small amount of olive oil in a nonstick pan.
Use pesto as a spread on whole-grain toast, then lay the fried egg right on top. Sprinkle with parsley, chives, or fresh baby arugula or microgreens before serving and eating.
While you can certainly use pesto as an alternative to olive oil if you want, to me that just makes cleanup a little bit more difficult.
Other easy breakfast recipes to try
If you like easy breakfast recipes like this one, check out some of these favorites.
- Baked egg recipe with Parmesan and Rosemary: Skip the scrambled eggs and whip up something unique!
- Cinnamon apple smoothie recipe: A delicious and healthy breakfast smoothie perfect for fall.
- Overnight Oats with blueberries, flax seeds, and pecans: A hearty breakfast recipe for busy mornings.
Tips for making this recipe
Cooking Tips: Don't let your frying pan get too hot. Cook your eggs on medium heat and be patient. If the pan is too hot, your whites will burn before the yolk is cooked. However, if your heat is too low, the whites will be rubbering.
Recommended Tools - I highly recommend cooking eggs in a non-stick skillet. Add just a smidge of olive oil before cooking the eggs.
Storing Tips - This pesto toast is definitely best served fresh, however, you can fry the eggs ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator. If you cook several up on the weekend, you just have to toast the bread and spread on the pesto. Eggs can be reheated in the microwave as needed.
Variations- You can add a slice of cheese on top or some slices of avocado if desired. Pesto avocado toast is a delicious variation!
Eggs and Pesto Toast Recipe
This is an easy and delicious alternative to TikTok pesto eggs. Sunny-side-up fried eggs served on toasted bread, then spread with basil pesto. Serve with fresh tomatoes for the perfect breakfast toast.
- 2 slices whole grain toast
- 3 to 4 TBSP pesto
- 2 eggs
- fresh parsley
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat until pan is hot.
- Crack eggs and cook on medium for 5 minutes, or until egg yolk is cooked through. Do not let the pan get too hot or the egg white will brown too much before the yolk is set.
- While the egg cooks, toast the bread until golden.
- Right before serving, spread the pesto sauce over the toast and slide the sunny side up egg on top.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 650Total Fat: 55gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 40gCholesterol: 209mgSodium: 703mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 21g
Nutrition information not always accurate
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She has two college aged kids, one husband and more pets than she will admit to. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire but left her career in science to become a stay at home mom. Years of playing with LEGO and coloring with crayons had her craving a more grown up purpose to her life and she began blogging and freelance writing full time. You can learn more about her HERE.