Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links.
Last Updated on July 27, 2018 by Diane Hoffmaster
This post about learning photography basics has been sponsored by Best Buy. All opinions are my own.
When I started blogging about 8 years ago, my photography skills were pitiful. I was only using my cell phone. and knew nothing about lighting, staging, or creating a visually appealing display. Over the years, I like to think I have improved quite a bit. Of course, I still have a ways to go! Learning photography basics hasn't been easy and I spent a lot of money on a photography class to try and help. However, now that Best Buy has free in-store photography workshops for beginners, you don't have to spend as much money as I did!
Learning Photography Basics Without Spending a Fortune
Learning how to take great photos is going to take some trial and error on your part. You need to play around with your camera and not be afraid of breaking it! Get out the manual and learn what every function does. Here are a few tips on how to take great photos without spending a ton of money.
- Don't buy the most expensive camera you find. Usually, great photos are determined by the camera settings rather than the price of the camera. Buy used only if your new camera comes from a reliable source and has a warranty.
- Go online. There are literally thousands of websites dedicated to photography. They will teach you photography basics for free. Settings like aperture and temperature and shutter speed will have a huge impact on your photos and you need to understand what they mean.
- Find a mentor. There are all sorts of photography clubs out there and the people who attend are great resources. Make friends in photography circles and you will have someone to go to with questions. Treat them to a free lunch occasionally to repay them for their kindness.
- Check out tech stores! Consider all the services that Best Buy offers to help you get started learning photography basics without going broke. They offer Best Buy Photography Workshop Tours, Free In-Store Photography Workshops for Beginners, and an in store Camera Experience Shop.
Best Buy Photography Workshop Tours
Best Buy photography workshop tours are great for intermediate photographers who already have a handle on the basics of photography. They will be taking place around the country in places like Seattle, San Diego, Houston, Atlanta, Tampa, New York City and Minneapolis on 7/28/2018. Here is what you get:
- Work with pro photographers and the Best Buy Camera Experience Shop experts to conduct 4 individual photo shoots.
- Test and try out an array of lenses and accessories to truly unleash what’s possible with photography.
- At the end of the day, in addition to lunch, you’ll get a bag of camera goodies. If you share your photos on social media with the #BestBuyPhotoWorkshops you’ll be entered to win Best Buy gift cards or a dream photography package!
The events cost $50 but you’ll easily make this up with the giveaways, lunch, transportation, and the priceless opportunity to work with pros! If you have already started learning photography basics and need something a bit more advanced, this is a great option.
Free In-Store Photography Workshops - for Beginners
If you are a total photography newbie, start with a free in-store photography workshop! Only 2 hours long, these will cover the photography basics and allow you one on one interaction with their Camera Experience Shop Experts to walk through your camera’s settings.
Best Buy’s Camera Experience Shop
If you are on a tight schedule but still want to start learning photography basics, Best Buy can still help. They have an in store camera experience shop with experts ready to help you when you come in. It’s essentially like visiting a specialty camera store, right in the middle of your local Best Buy. Their experts go through intensive photography training and are all photo enthusiasts themselves.
They offer an expanded assortment of cameras, lenses and accessories that you won’t find in other locations. Plus you can get hands on with all the cameras & test and try them in the store. Learn more about Best Buy photography support on YouTube!
Photography is an amazingly fun hobby, however, it definitely takes some practice and study to become really good at it. Thankfully, Best Buy can help you learn basic photography skills without going broke!
Do you enjoy photography?
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She has two college aged kids, one husband and more pets than she will admit to. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire but left her career in science to become a stay at home mom. Years of playing with LEGO and coloring with crayons had her craving a more grown up purpose to her life and she began blogging and freelance writing full time. You can learn more about her HERE.