Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links.
Last Updated on December 18, 2020 by Diane Hoffmaster
These easy peppermint sugar cookies are seriously the best Christmas cookie recipe I have ever made. And I have made a TON of Christmas cookies over the last few years! I have a ton of classics from my mom that I make every year. From her old fashioned cookie recipe for Honey Macaroons to my own bourbon ball recipe, I have a sweet tooth that I indulge regularly during the holiday season. However, this new cookie is seriously my favorite and I look forward to sitting down with a few and a glass of milk at the end of a busy day of shopping and baking!
The Best Christmas Cookie Recipe Hack
If you don't have time to make these easy peppermint sugar cookies from scratch, you can buy the premade sugar cookie dough from the store and bake those. Then, just dip them in melted white chocolate and sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Set in the refrigerator for an hour and you are done. If you are REALLY pressed for time, you can buy premade sugar cookies in the bakery. Dipped and sprinkled with candy canes, will anyone really know that you didn't make them from scratch? Personally, I think the cookie part of these easy peppermint sugar cookies are SO much better than store bought. However, lives are busy and corners have to be cut occasionally, right?
Supplies for Easy Peppermint Sugar Cookies:
Okay, if you can plan ahead a bit and want to make these truly fabulous, here are a couple of things that will really come in handy when making these cookies.
- Peppermint flavor oil or Peppermint Extract: Peppermint isn't always a flavor carried in grocery stores so shopping online may be easier.
- Candy cane pieces: Yes, you could crush your own candy canes but they seriously come out all sorts of weird sizes from giant chunks to powder. Buy them precrushed for a uniform look.
- Silicone baking sheet: A silicone baking sheet lets these cookies slide right off your cookie sheet!
- White chocolate melting wafers: So much easier to use than white chocolate chips! Seriously, these are a must!
Okay, that is it, other than common grocery store items! Now you can start baking the best Christmas cookies ever!
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 ½ tsp peppermint extract (divided)
- 3 cups white candy coating (or white chocolate chips and 2 TBSP coconut oil)
- ⅓ cup finely crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, cream together sugar and butter until combined.
- Mix in egg and egg yolk, along with 1 tsp peppermint oil.
- With mixer on low, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined
- Scoop dough out 2 Tbsp at a time and shape into balls.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with a silicone liner, spacing cookies about 2-inches apart
- Bake in preheated oven 10 - 12 minutes (cookies should appear slightly under-baked. Don't let them brown).
- Remove cookies from the oven and allow them to rest several minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- TO DIP:
- In the top of a double boiler, melt white chocolate wafers (or chips and coconut oil).
- Mix in the remaining ½ tsp peppermint oil.
- When melted, dip each cookie partially into the chocolate. Let excess drip off and/or scrape bottom of cookie lightly against edge of pan to remove excess.
- Place cookie on cookie sheet lined with a sheet of parchment paper. Sprinkle with candy cane pieces. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to harden when all cookies are done.
- Remove from refrigerator and store in air tight container for up to a week or two at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 3526Total Fat: 121gSaturated Fat: 69gCholesterol: 338mgSodium: 3326mgCarbohydrates: 575gSugar: 308gProtein: 36g
Like these Easy Peppermint Sugar Cookies? Pin for later!
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She has two college aged kids, one husband and more pets than she will admit to. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire but left her career in science to become a stay at home mom. Years of playing with LEGO and coloring with crayons had her craving a more grown up purpose to her life and she began blogging and freelance writing full time. You can learn more about her HERE.