Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and this DIY sensual massage oil will be put to good use! To be honest, my husband and I really don’t spend a lot of money on Valentine’s Day gifts. I don’t want flowers that are going to die in a week or chocolate I will feel guilty eating. After being together for 20 ish years, romance means totally different things to us now than it did when we were younger. Romance is making sure we actually kiss each other good morning. Maybe make time for a walk after dinner. Or actually sit together in front of the fireplace and watch TV together. Yes, we are lame when it comes to romance but it works for us!
The one thing my husband loves is a good massage, so I thought this year I would make my own sensual massage oil and give him a romantic massage on Valentine’s Day. It’s inexpensive and doesn’t require that we fight the crowds trying to have a romantic dinner at a local restaurant! If you want to make your own massage oil, I will include a few affiliate links for products you might need.
DIY Sensual Massage Oil:
Choose your own personal scents for your sensual massage oil (recommendations below!), depending on what mood you are trying to inspire!
- Into a small jar, add 1/4 cup carrier oil (olive oil, almond oil, coconut oil, etc. You want something with a low scent that is as natural as possible)
- Add 1 tsp essential oils of choice (see below) or use multiple essential oils that add up to 1 tsp total
- Mix your sensual massage oil very gently to combine and let stand overnight. The oils will blend and balance out over the next 12 hours, making your sensual massage oil really smell ‘just right’!
Which Essential Oils for Your Sensual Massage Oil Recipe?
This massage oil DIY is incredibly versatile, depending on the scents you enjoy. I chose cinnamon and a few other ‘warming’ spices to help add a little heat and improve circulation. Here are a few other aromatherapy suggestions for your sensual massage oil recipe (check out AromaWeb for a full listing):
- Calming scents: Bergamot, Cedarwood, Cypress, Frankincense, Hyssop, Lavender, Marjoram, Myrrh, Neroli, Orange, Peach, Rose, Rose Geranium and Violet Leaf.
- Scents Used as Aphrodisiacs: Jasmine, Rose, Sandalwood, Vanilla, and Ylang-ylang.
- Energizing scents: Angelica, Benzoin, Camphor, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Clove Basil, Cypress, Eucalyptus, Fennel, Lemon, Peppermint, Pine, Sage and Spiced Apple.
- Scents to Deal with Stress: Bergamot, Chamomile, Cinnamon, Cloves, Frankincense, Lavender, Lemon, Marjoram, Myrrh, Neroli, Nutmeg, Orange, Petitgrain, Rose, Sandalwood, Sweet Melissa, Valerian, Vanilla, Violet, and Ylang-ylang.
How Much Essential Oil in your Sensual Massage Oil Recipe?
Making homemade massage oil is incredibly easy. All you need is a carrier oil and the essential oils of choice. The basic ‘recipe’ is about 15 drops of essential oil to 30 ounces (2 TBSP) of carrier oil. This will vary a bit, though, depending on the oils you choose and your personal preference. The warming oils (cinnamon, cloves, rosemary) are stronger and have a greater chance at irritating sensitive skin so start off with a lower concentration and add more as desired.
How to Give a Romantic Massage?
So, you’ve chosen your massage oil scents, a carrier oil, and blended them together. Now, how do you actually give a romantic massage? Here are a few tips:
- Set the Scene: Clean up the room, clothes the blinds, turn off the electronics, and make the bed. You want the space calm and inviting.
- Lay down a towel: Oils will stain your pretty bedspread. Lay down an old towel to protect your linens.
- Turn up the thermometer: There is no way your massage will have the desired effect if your significant other is laying there shivering!
- Add some mood music. Make a romantic playlist on your iPod and turn it on low.
- Light a few candles: Scented or unscented, there is something about candles that just screams romance!
- Prepare YOURSELF: Take off your jewelry and snip your nails shorter. Your hands will be busy for a while. Feel free to shave and put on something sexy if you are so inspired!
- Do a bit of research on massage techniques before you start. Know where the key spots are to help loosen and relax your partner. Most stress is carried in the neck, shoulders, and back.
- Clean Up: End your massage with a warm bath or shower to remove excess oil.
Massage Oil Storage:
Your sensual massage oil should stay good for several months as long as you store it out of direct sunlight in a cool location. Brown glass bottles are best but as long as you store your massage oil in a cool, dark space you should be able to use it for several months. After your stellar romantic massage, your partner will probably be begging you for another one some time very soon!
Do you have a massage oil recipe that you really enjoy?
Don’t Forget to Pin This DIY Sensual Massage Oil Recipe for Later!
Add a movie to your special night!
Romantic Movies for Couples Perfect for Date Night!