Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A couple of years ago, my children were bored one summer vacation and asked if they could go into the kitchen and create a recipe from scratch using the food we had in the house. While I am all for creative pursuits, I saw this as probably ending badly. I had visions of huge messes and gross miss use of food stuffs. Not wanting to stomp on their creativity, I came up with a solution: Go take an assortment of cookbooks and look at recipes carefully. Decide what you want to create. Then, put together an ingredient list that looks similar to the type of item you want to make. I would help them work out details after the initial part of the project had been completed. Off they went, cookbooks in hand, and I patted myself on the back for my creative parenting!
Unique Cookie Recipe
I honestly thought they would give up quickly but my son (the persistent math and science geek that he is) actually created a useable recipe. I was completely surprised, I must admit! He spent hours pouring through cookbooks and would periodically show up in the kitchen to rummage in the pantry or ask questions. By that afternoon, we had a unique cookie recipe that we tweaked a bit to fit into our Christmas cookie repertoire. This unique cookie recipe is sort of a cross between a chocolate chip cookie and a Russian Tea cookie. The combination of white chocolate and peppermint is delicious and the peppermint powdered sugar on top makes it look festive enough for your holiday table. They are more crunchy than a traditional chocolate chip cookie with a nice refreshing peppermint flavor. Let me know what you think of this unique cookie recipe if you give it a try! My son will be thrilled to know that his culinary research inspired others!
- ½ cup (one stick) butter (softened)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 TBSP honey
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar and 3 candy canes for dusting
- In a food processor, combine the powdered sugar and candy canes. Process on high until candy canes are completely blended into the sugar. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and brown sugar
- Add the egg, honey and peppermint extract. Blend well.
- Add dry ingredients and mix only until combine and dough sticks together
- Add chocolate chips and mix in gently
- Roll dough into balls about 1 ½ inches in diameter
- Place dough balls on greased cookie sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until just starting to brown around the edges.
- Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet with spatula and let cool completely on wire rack.
- Dust tops of cookies with powered sugar/candy cane mixture.
- makes approximately 2 to 3 dozen cookies.
Do you have a unique cookie recipe that you would like to share?
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She has two college aged kids, one husband and more pets than she will admit to. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire but left her career in science to become a stay at home mom. Years of playing with LEGO and coloring with crayons had her craving a more grown up purpose to her life and she began blogging and freelance writing full time. You can learn more about her HERE.