Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on August 30, 2016 by Diane Hoffmaster
I have two teenagers whom I love dearly but I can honestly say that I am not generally fond of most kids. This makes me sound like a horrible person but I have found that many kids (mine included!) have some habits which really grate on my nerves. In my own kids, I can correct their bad behavior or at least punish them for things they know better than to do. Other people tend to frown on non parental adults correcting their kids and maybe the things that annoy ME are totally allowed in your house. In an effort to help society create children that do not annoy the crap out of other adults, here are a few things that I firmly believe you should NEVER teach your kids to do. And keep in mind that we teach our child every single day by our own actions.
5 Things You Should NEVER Teach Your Kids To Do
1. Spit. Spitting is something that should only be done if one inhales a bug or if you are hacking up so much phlegm it is completely necessary. And in the latter case, please do it in the toilet or a tissue, not on the sidewalk that I am walking on or the park playground where children are playing. There is absolutely NO reason your kid should be spitting in public.
2. Put used chewing gum anywhere other than the trashcan. This is not only disgusting it is also an environmental issue. Who knows what small animal is going to come along and eat your used gum. And no, it does NOT look attractive sitting on that telephone pole.
3. Swear: Okay, sure...I have been known to swear if I drop a can on my foot or a deer decides to jump in front of my car. But swearing as part of your general vocabulary is not only unattractive but it also makes people jump to conclusions about the intelligence and personality of your child. I have stood in line next to kids as young as 8 or 10 who have mouths like a sailor. It makes me want to whip out a bar of soap.
4. Litter: I am constantly amazed at how many ADULTS think it is okay to throw trash on the ground. I went to the laser show at Stone Mountain last year (think thousands of people on a giant lawn watching a laser show after dark). After the show, people started leaving and the acres and acres of lawn in front of me were COVERED in trash. These were adults who were just getting up and leaving empty fast food packages all over the grass. Pick up after yourself, people! And by picking up after YOURSELF, you will be teaching your kid that it is NOT okay to throw their trash on the ground.
5. Use the word 'Gay' in a derogatory way: Do you have any idea how many times I have heard teenagers say 'That is so GAY'? I don't care what your opinions on homosexuality are, please tell your kids that GAY does not refer to an ugly shirt your friend is wearing or the fact that someone likes to watch musicals instead of a football game. Teach your kids early on that 'GAY' is not to be used as an insult.
I would love to know how you feel about these habits. Are there certain behaviors in kids that you find unacceptable? What do you teach your kids not to do?
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She has two college aged kids, one husband and more pets than she will admit to. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire but left her career in science to become a stay at home mom. Years of playing with LEGO and coloring with crayons had her craving a more grown up purpose to her life and she began blogging and freelance writing full time. You can learn more about her HERE.