Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on October 21, 2022 by Diane Hoffmaster
Craving chewy pumpkin cookies? Love gingersnaps? You can have both! These pumpkin ginger snaps are the perfect fall cookie recipe when you are craving pumpkin spice and everything nice!
Memories of Old Fashioned Ginger Snaps
As I sit here typing up this recipe, I am truly amazed that any of these pumpkin ginger snaps actually survived long enough for me to photograph them. In fact, I am amazed that the dough lasted long enough for me to actually bake the cookies at all!
Ginger snaps are one of my all time favorite cookies, especially during the fall. Warm spices like cinnamon, ginger, and cloves all blended together with pumpkin and molasses just cry out for me to curl up under a blanket with them and read a book.
Who makes the best ginger snaps? My mom! I have memories of my childhood when I begged my mom to lick the molasses spoon. I still do that even as an adult!
Pumpkin Spice Everything! YAY!
I have been making a ton of pumpkin recipes this week. Whether it's pumpkin pancakes for breakfast or pumpkin cocktails for happy hour, pumpkin is a huge favorite in my house and I stocked up on canned pumpkin so I wouldn't run out.
Yes, I could actually cook and puree a real pumpkin but that is just way too much work. Although it does have the side benefit of providing tasty pumpkin seeds! If you love pumpkin as much as I do, adding it to these pumpkin ginger snaps just makes perfect sense.
Ginger Chips Give a Unique Flavor
When I was pregnant with my daughter, I suffered horrible morning, afternoon and evening nausea. I ate my weight in ginger snaps to help relieve the constant stomach upset. I definitely became very picky about my ginger snaps.
Like these homemade ginger snaps? Here are more easy cookie recipes:
- Easy Peppermint Sugar Cookies These easy peppermint sugar cookies are seriously the best Christmas cookie recipe I have ever made.
- Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookie Recipe They are so sweet and chewy you can't just eat one of them! And oatmeal is totally healthy, right?
- Honey Macaroonies: An Old Fashioned Cookie Recipe from Mom
I love a really strong ginger flavor and for this pumpkin ginger snap recipe, I added crystalized ginger chips. Seriously, those things are absolutely divine and while you COULD skip them, I highly recommend you pick some up to really kick up the ginger flavor of these delicious cookies!
Pumpkin Ginger Snaps Recipe
These Chewy Pumpkin Gingersnap Cookies are everything you love about gingersnaps, but with a chewy texture and a burst of ginger flavor in every bite.
- ½ cup of butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar (plus additional for rolling the cookies)
- ½ cup of canned pumpkin
- ¼ cup of molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ⅓ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup crystalized ginger chips (optional)
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add in the vanilla, molasses, egg and pumpkin and beat until well mixed
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and ginger. Mix gently
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir gently until combined
- Stir in the crystalized ginger chips
- Refrigerate the dough for at least one hour or overnight
- Scoop dough into 1 inch balls and roll in the palm of your hands
- Roll dough ball in granulated sugar
- Place onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or silicone mat
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Cookies should still be soft but edges will be starting to crack.
- Remove from oven and let cool 2 to 3 minutes
- Place on wire rack and cool completely before storing in sealed container.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 134Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 191mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information not always accurate
Want to try these pumpkin ginger snaps for yourself? Pin for later!
Want a cocktail recipe to warm you up on chilly fall nights?
Try this apple cider and pumpkin cocktail recipe!
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She has two college aged kids, one husband and more pets than she will admit to. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire but left her career in science to become a stay at home mom. Years of playing with LEGO and coloring with crayons had her craving a more grown up purpose to her life and she began blogging and freelance writing full time. You can learn more about her HERE.