Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on November 21, 2022 by Diane Hoffmaster
There is nothing I love more than potatoes....unless you happen to put bacon and CHEESE on top and then they are even more delicious! Whether you are talking French fries, baked potatoes or mashed potatoes, I definitely think that any type of spud tastes better if it is cheesy and bacon flavored! This casserole recipe takes all of my favorite things and puts them into one dish which would make a perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
This casserole recipe is definitely not particularly healthy. Sure, you could add low-fat cheese, skim milk, and some version of a butter substitute but honestly, I would rather have a small portion of the GOOD stuff than put fake food in there.
Go for a long walk after dinner and just sit back and enjoy this casserole recipe in all its fattening goodness! The holidays only come around once a year and we might as well enjoy them, right?
So go ahead and use the real butter, half-and-half, and full-fat cream cheese....you can worry about your weight in January!
More Thanksgiving Recipes and Activities to Enjoy
Looking for more Thanksgiving ideas? Try a few of these posts, too:
- Read my Thanksgiving leftovers party ideas and get a deliciously simple recipe for your leftover turkey and sweet potatoes.
- Want to have a vegetarian feast this holiday season? Check out my healthy plant-based Thanksgiving tips.
- Get your kids involved in this Thanksgiving service project and give back to the community this year.
Just like a loaded baked potato in a creamy and delicious casserole! With plenty of cheddar cheese and bacon and topped with green onion, this potato casserole will be a huge hit with your Thanksgiving guests.
- 4 pounds of your favorite potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stick butter, cut into smaller chunks
- 4 ounce cream cheese, cut into cubes
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup half and half
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar (reserve ½ cup for topping)
- ⅓ cup green onions (reserve 2 to 3 TBSP for topping)
- ½ pound bacon, cooked and crumbled (reserve 2 to 3 TBSP for topping)
- garlic salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot of water, boil potatoes until tender (about 15 to 20 minutes)
- Drain and place in large bowl (I use my KitchenAid mixer)
- Into the bowl add the butter, cream cheese, sour cream, shredded cheddar (reserve some for topping!) and half and half
- Mix using wire whisk attachment until everything is melted and light and fluffy
- Add in the bacon and green onions (reserve suggested amount for topping!)
- Add in the salt and pepper to taste
- Mix until combined
- Place potato mixture into a 9 x 9 inch baking dish
- Cover with remaining cheese and bacon
- Cook for 25 minutes at 375 degrees F or until top is just starting to brown
- Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes
- Top with remaining green onions right before serving
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She has two college aged kids, one husband and more pets than she will admit to. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire but left her career in science to become a stay at home mom. Years of playing with LEGO and coloring with crayons had her craving a more grown up purpose to her life and she began blogging and freelance writing full time. You can learn more about her HERE.