Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on September 26, 2019 by Diane Hoffmaster
This Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix Recipe is easy to make and tastes delicious! This dry ranch dressing mix goes great not only in salad dressing but also as a coating for chicken. Make up the seasoning mix in bulk and store it in the pantry.
Is Ranch Dressing Healthy? Hmmm ... maybe!
Have you ever had company over last minute and wished you had some sort of dip to put out for them? I rarely buy dip so it isn't just something I have sitting around my house. I do, however, always have plain yogurt and mayonnaise in my refrigerator.
Wouldn't it be nice to have some sort of seasoning packet sitting in the pantry to dump into it for homemade dip? Preferably something with ingredients you could actually pronounce? This homemade ranch dressing mix recipe is the answer to your last minute entertaining problems!
Like this DIY ranch seasoning? Try these homemade spice mixes, too!
- Lemon Thyme Infused Sea Salt is Perfect for Your Seafood Recipe
- How to Make Homemade Italian Seasoning
- Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe and Paleo Diet Approved Taco Wraps
The ranch dressing mix you get at the grocery store in those little packets have all sorts of unnatural things in there. Go ahead and read the ingredients! Any idea what maltodextrin is? Do you really want to be eating MSG? That is the stuff you find in your premade ranch dressing mix packets from the grocery store.
THIS homemade ranch dressing mix contains only seasonings right from your pantry. Add this seasoning mix to a yogurt/mayonnaise blend for a delicious dip. Add in buttermilk or regular milk to make a creamy ranch dressing for your next salad. You can also toss it into some plain breadcrumbs for coating your chicken in as well!
What is ranch seasoning made of?
Most of the dry ranch seasoning mix ingredients in this recipe are very simple. You most likely already have them in your pantry. They include: onion powder, onion flakes, dill, parsley, garlic powder, salt, pepper and dried chives. Combined, these simple spices give this delicious seasoning mix its well recognized flavor.
Make this dry seasoning mix up in bulk and store it in your pantry. It will stay good for as long as the individual spices that are in it (check spice expiration dates on the jars) Use it in any recipe that calls for a 'packet of ranch dressing mix'. How much is in a ranch packet? A 1 ounce packet of dressing mix equals about 3 TBSP of this dry ranch dressing mix.
Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
Salads taste much better topped with a delicious salad dressing! It's incredibly easy to make your own buttermilk ranch dressing from this dry ranch powder. Just print out the ranch dressing mix recipe below. You will need about 3 tablespoons of dry powder (more or less, depending on taste). Here are the quick directions:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ to ½ cup buttermilk (adjust as needed for thickness)
- 3 tablespoons dry ranch mix
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Place the mayonnaise, sour cream and buttermilk in a bowl and whisk until combined
- Place the remaining ingredients in the bowl and stir gently. Adjust seasonings as desired for your own personal taste.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours to blend flavors before using
- If mixture is too thick, add additional buttermilk to thin it out a bit.
- Drizzle over salad and enjoy!
Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix Recipe
- 2 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 2 tsp. dried dill
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 tsp. dried onion flakes
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. dried chives
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Store in sealed glass container at room temperature
- To Make Dressing: Combine 1 to 2 Tbsp. mix with ⅓ cup mayonnaise, ⅓ cup sour cream and ⅓ cup buttermilk. Greek yogurt can be substituted for mayonnaise or sour cream. Milk can be substituted for buttermilk if needed.
Want a smoother powder? Whisk together or pulse in food processor to make fine. Store for up to 3 months. **To Make Dressing: 3 TBSP ranch mix plus ½ cup each mayonnaise, buttermilk, and sour cream. Add a splash of apple cider vinegar and Worcestershire sauce if desired. Chill for 4 hours before using.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 9Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 294mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
Nutrition information not always accurate
Love all things containing ranch dressing? Try this delicious Chicken Taco Ranch Pasta Salad!
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She has two college aged kids, one husband and more pets than she will admit to. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire but left her career in science to become a stay at home mom. Years of playing with LEGO and coloring with crayons had her craving a more grown up purpose to her life and she began blogging and freelance writing full time. You can learn more about her HERE.