Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on March 14, 2021 by Diane Hoffmaster
These tips for a healthy mouth will hopefully help keep your breath fresh and your dental bills under control. I am not a big fan of the dentist but I am a big fan of having teeth so I make my appointment every 6 months to get my teeth cleaned anyhow.
I struggle with tartar buildup so it is very important for me to keep plague to a minimum. Plague is basically caused by bacteria in your mouth and they LOVE all those extra bits of food that get stuck between your teeth!
The other day I grabbed an apple on the way out the door and drove around running errands for the next 2 hours with an annoying bit of apple stuck in my teeth! WHY? Because I did not have any floss with me! Big mistake!
Tips for a Healthy Mouth
Here are a few tips for a healthy mouth that might come in handy for preserving your pretty smile!
- Brush after every meal, and be sure that your toothbrush is in good shape. It should be replaced if you see obvious wear and tear to the bristles.
- Drink plenty of water and skip the soda, coffee and acidic juices
- Chew natural gums to kill odor-causing bacteria and increase the production of saliva which helps fight bad breath
- Visit the dentist every 6 months, whether you like it or not!
- Avoid chewing ice, pencils, pen caps and anything else not meant to be chewed on.
- Skip the chewy candy and lollies and grab an apple instead. Not only will you get a healthy mouth but you might lose a couple pounds!
- Use mouthwash to help freshen breath and kill problem causing bacteria
- If you grind your teeth (or even wake up with a sore jaw!), talk to your dentist about a mouth guard to protect your teeth
- Invest in a tongue scraper...it may sound odd but scraping your tongue when you brush can help give you a healthy mouth
- Eat more yogurt (the live culture, all natural kind!) to help establish the 'good bacteria' in your mouth and digestive tract. In fact, just start eating healthier in general. Less junk food and more carrots!
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She has two college aged kids, one husband and more pets than she will admit to. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire but left her career in science to become a stay at home mom. Years of playing with LEGO and coloring with crayons had her craving a more grown up purpose to her life and she began blogging and freelance writing full time. You can learn more about her HERE.
I just started noticing that I grind my teeth in my sleep. I know it's due to stress and that I just need to calm the heck down, but I will talk to my dentist about it. Thanks for the tips!
Tammi @ My Organized Chaos
I have a habit of chewing ice, I really need to stop that. Great tips!
I love Glide floss, but I've never seen that new Scope mouthwash. I've tried other Scope and loved it, so I'll have to check it out!
Thanks for the tips for a healthier smile =)