This tarragon chicken recipe has been sponsored by CK Mondavi and Clever Girls. All opinions expressed are my own. #CKMondaviHeroes
Summertime for me means a return to using fresh herbs in my cooking. I don’t grow any herbs in my house over the winter so as soon as the weather starts to warm up, I head to the nursery and grab as many varieties as I can find. Having fresh herbs in my recipes gives them a wonderful flavor and complexity. This chicken recipe could have been just like any other chicken I stuck in the oven but the tarragon from the garden really gave it a unique flavor. Some people put flowers in a vase in their kitchen, I like to put freshly cut herbs in them! That way, the house smells good and I have fresh herbs at my fingertips whenever I need them!
When I was asked to share a recipe with my readers that would pair well with CK Mondavi wines, I knew fresh herbs would be part of my cooking. In my mind, red wines pair well with herbs like basil and oregano but lighter herbs like tarragon, rosemary and sage are the perfect accompaniment to a nice white wine like the CK Mondavi Chardonnay that I was sent. Their Chardonnay is medium-bodied with a hint of oak. The aroma brings to mind lemon and citrus with a light, fruity, and crisp smell. It is very refreshing and pairs well with a chicken and cream sauce!
Tarragon Chicken Recipe with a White Wine Cream Sauce
Easy chicken recipe with a wonderfully fresh flavor
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 pounds of chicken pieces
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup finely minced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon, finely chopped (separated)
- 1 cup CK Mondavi Chardonnay
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Heat olive oil in a large cast iron pan over medium heat until hot
- Salt and pepper chicken and place skin side down in the pan
- cook4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip the chicken and cook 4 to 5 minutes more
- Place chicken in a glass baking dish and put in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until chicken is finished cooking.
- While chicken is cooking, saute minced onion and garlic in pan drippings until golden brown. Add wine and let simmer 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, lemon juice, tarragon (reserving 1 TBSP for garnish) and sour cream.
- Simmer sauce 10 to 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Pour half of the sauce over the chicken in the oven, continuing to cook it until juices run clear.
- When chicken is finished cooking, pour remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle with the rest of the fresh tarragon.
- Serve immediately
If you are planning on making a white wine cream sauce to go with your favorite chicken recipe, I found that the CK Mondavi Chardonnay worked very well. I am of the opinion that a little goes in the cream sauce and a little goes in my wine glass so I know it tastes great! CK Mondavi is the only American made/grown wine in the “supermarket wine under $10” category. It is nice to find a wine that tastes good without breaking the bank! Next time you are at the grocery store, I encourage you to pick up a bottle. A percentage of each bottle sold between May – August is donated to Intrepid Fallen Heroes (up to $50,000). The Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund (IFHF), an organization that supports the men and women of the Armed Forces and their families. It is currently funded entirely by public donations, IFHF serves U.S. military personnel wounded or killed in service to our nation and their families. For more information, visit the Fallen Heroes Fund.
To connect with CK Mondavi you can follow them on Facebook or Twitter
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.