Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on June 5, 2020 by Diane Hoffmaster
This homemade shaving cream recipe with shea butter and coconut oil will moisturize your legs while you shave. Natural shaving cream is expensive at the store, however it is easy to make with just a few simple ingredients.
Table of Contents
Why use natural shaving cream?
Living in the south means that I wear shorts from March through October. Sure, I love tank tops and flip flops but that means I have to shave everyday for about 8 months out of every year. That is a LOT of shaving!
I made this homemade shaving cream recipe because I was seriously sick of all the scents that were available at the grocery store. If I am going to shave every day, I want to enjoy the experience! I don't want cheap shaving cream that smells like my dad. (no offense to dad...I love the guy but don't want to smell like him!)
Now that I know how to make homemade shaving cream, I will be doing it a LOT. I love that I can switch out the scent depending on my mood! This month I chose rosemary and mint because it is one of my all-time favorite aromas. I'm thinking next month might be orange and cloves to get into the spirit of fall.
How to Make Your Own Shaving Cream
Why should you learn how to make homemade shaving cream? Because you will save money AND you get to make some heavenly scent combinations! Seriously. You only need 3 ingredients plus your essential oils of choice.
DIY Shaving Cream Ingredients
Here are the ingredients and supplies you will need for your homemade shaving cream:
- Shea butter: one of the best products to moisturize nourish skin. It contains vitamin A, E and essential fatty acids that give it exceptional healing properties.
- Coconut Oil: You can buy in the grocery store but the link is one designed specifically for skin care products and won't clog pores.
- Olive Oil: Use a high-quality one from the grocery store.
- Rosemary essential Oil: Helps relieve stress and anxiety and improves mental clarity. Perfect for a morning shower!
- Peppermint Essential Oil: Has mild antibacterial properties and helps relieve sore muscles.
Tips for Making Shaving Cream With Shea Butter
I found that the easiest way to make this homemade shaving cream recipe was to put everything EXCEPT the essential oils in a medium-sized glass bowl and set it over a pan of simmering water until it melted. Chop the shea butter into smallish pieces and stir frequently to make it go more quickly.
Once everything is melted, stick the bowl in the refrigerator until it is thickened but not hard (no liquid...you want it thick and pasty). Then, remove from the refrigerator, add the essential oils, and beat with the hand mixer for about 3 to 4 minutes until light and fluffy.
Viola! You have homemade shaving cream! Store in an airtight container and use within a few weeks or so.
Print the shaving cream recipe below and get started!
Have you ever wanted to make your own shaving cream? This easy DIY shaving cream is made with all-natural ingredients. It will leave skin smooth and it smells fabulous!
Like this shaving cream recipe? Try these DIY beauty products, too
- DIY Face Cleaning Pads for Clear Skin On a Budget: Want to save money on your skincare routine? These DIY face cleaning pads are a great way to get clear skin on a budget!
- DIY Cuticle Butter and Tips for Healthy Cuticles: Tired of hiding your hands from people because of ugly nails and cuticles? This DIY cuticle butter is just what you need!
- DIY Rosemary Mint Facial Toner: I put together this easy Rosemary Mint Facial Toner to improve my summer skin care routine!
- ½ cup shea butter
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 15 drops rosemary essential oil
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- Put everything EXCEPT the essential oils in a medium-sized glass bowl and set it over a pan of simmering water until it melted. Chop the shea butter into smallish pieces and stir frequently to make it go more quickly.
- Remove from heat and place in refrigerator for several hours or until no longer liquid but not hard either.
- Remove from the refrigerator and add the essential oils.
- Beat with hand mixer until light and fluffy (3 to 4 minutes)
- Store in a sealed container and use just like regular shaving cream. use up within about 3 to 4 weeks.
Like this DIY shaving cream recipe? Pin it below!
Try this post, too!
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She has two college aged kids, one husband and more pets than she will admit to. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire but left her career in science to become a stay at home mom. Years of playing with LEGO and coloring with crayons had her craving a more grown up purpose to her life and she began blogging and freelance writing full time. You can learn more about her HERE.