Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
My daughter has been bugging me for weeks about getting out the bin of Fall decorations. So, this weekend I will begin the task of decorating my house for the upcoming holidays. The problem is...I don't really HAVE a lot of decorations for Fall! Why? Honestly, I am too cheap to go out and spend a small fortune on plastic doo-dads that are only going to get used for a couple of weeks. I am not a big fan of plastic stuff...just clutters up my house and ends up sitting in land fills for a century or two. So, I have a tendency to stick with decorations made from natural products whenever I can. Here are some natural decor ideas for your own home...so now you, too can avoid the chaos of shopping at Target for plastic spiders and artificial pumpkins!
Natural Decor Ideas For Your Home
1. A basket of scented pine cones: You can go to the craft store and BUY scented pine cones but if you have pine trees nearby you have a ready made source of natural decor for free. Just gather up the most attractive pine cones and spritz with a mixture of water and essential oils or extracts. Leave them in a basket on your table for a pretty centerpiece that will make the whole room smell nice.
2. A vase of flowers: These can come from your yard or the grocery store but if you care for them properly they should last a couple of weeks, depending on the type of flower. If you enjoy gardening, start cultivating your own source of natural decor in your own back yard. Plant things like Chrysanthemum or Eupatorium (Joe Pye Weed) for a great source of color for your kitchen.
3. A home made Pomander: This is a great way to make your home smell great AND decorate with natural products. All you need is a orange, some cloves and a bit of ribbon. Click the image above for full directions on how to create this old fashioned air freshener!
4. Natural Wreaths: You can head outside and gather twigs or pine branches and make decorative wreaths out of them. Check out this tutorial on how to make a twig wreath for detailed instructions. Ferns and flowers also make great addition to natural wreaths.
5. Pumpkins, gourds, and squash: Fall vegetables are not only good to eat but also make great decorations! I found a great deal on pumpkins the last time I was at Walmart. I got a big one for me to decorate and a bunch of small ones for the kids to 'help' with. I used some great BIC Mark-It™ Permanent Markers to decorate the pumpkin. I am not a great artist but this was a really easy project and my kids had fun creating their own little table decorations.
BIC Mark-It™ Permanent Markers provide vivid, quick-drying color for use on an array of surfaces including glass, metal, plastic, paper, photos and more. They come in 36 amazingly vibrant colors and are neatly contained in a reusable plastic container. If you want more creative craft ideas from Bic you can 'Like' BIC Mark-It™ Permanent Markers on Facebook and follow them on Pinterest.
Enter the 36 Days of Color Sweepstakes
Disclaimer: In accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials.”: I received product samples in exchange for my honest review. I received no monetary compensation. All opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. Some of the links in this post may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She has two college aged kids, one husband and more pets than she will admit to. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire but left her career in science to become a stay at home mom. Years of playing with LEGO and coloring with crayons had her craving a more grown up purpose to her life and she began blogging and freelance writing full time. You can learn more about her HERE.