Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on March 2, 2018 by Diane Hoffmaster
Spring is almost here and it is the perfect time to get crafty and learn how to make bottle cap magnets! Have you ever bought craft supplies on Amazon because they were wicked cheap but you had to buy like 4 million of that item? I decided to make bottle cap magnet lady bugs because what the heck else was I going to do with several pounds worth of tiny circular magnets? Seriously! I bought them for a project, used 3 and now am left with so many magnets I don't have a clue how to start using them all up! Since spring is coming and I am a huge fan of lady bugs, I decided to spend my morning making bottle cap magnet lady bugs!
Supplies for making this easy lady bug craft
- bottle caps
- red spray paint (I used Krylon short cuts)
- black nail polish, permanent marker or fine tipped black paint pen
- 2 small googly eyes per magnet
- hot glue gun
- ½ inch diameter small round magnets
Tips for Making Bottle Cap Magnets
We are always sticking things on the refrigerator and I'm not sure you can ever have enough magnets in the house. Bottle cap magnets are a fun way to use up those old bottle caps and a great way to let your kids stretch their imagination. Here are a few tips before you get started:
- Be careful removing the bottle caps from the bottle. If you put a huge dent in the middle with your bottle opener, you won't have a flat surface to decorate.
- Be patient because you are going to have to probably use two coats of paint. I found that spray paint covered the grooves of the these bottle cap magnets better than craft paint and a paintbrush.
- Make sure the paint is completely dry before drawing on them with a sharpie. I found that the point of the market destroys not quite dry paint.
- Get creative with your design. I have also made some earth day garden art with bottle caps as well as some pumpkin bottle cap magnets. The sky is the limit when it comes to decorating these!
How to Make Bottle Cap Magnets
This easy bottle cap craft is pretty self explanatory just by looking at it, however, here are some basic directions:
Spray paint magnets red. You may need multiple coats of paint. Let paint dry between each coat.
Once the paint is dry, add a lady bug pattern as shown using your black writing instrument of choice
Once your black pattern is dry, glue on (or stick on if self adhesive) your googly eyes
Flip the bottle cap over. Hot glue a small round magnet to the inside of the cap.
Now that you know how to make bottle cap magnets, what design will YOU make?
Need more creative ways to upcycle bottle caps?
Try this bottle cap garden art!
Make these cute golf ball lady bugs from Turning the Clock Back!
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She has two college aged kids, one husband and more pets than she will admit to. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire but left her career in science to become a stay at home mom. Years of playing with LEGO and coloring with crayons had her craving a more grown up purpose to her life and she began blogging and freelance writing full time. You can learn more about her HERE.