Last Updated on August 29, 2019 by Diane Hoffmaster
This post about how to choose the best dishwasher has been sponsored by BestBuy. All opinions are my own.
Is your dishwasher broken? Are you working on a kitchen remodel and need a new dishwasher? Learn how to choose the best dishwasher for your own personal needs before you shop. Here are a few tips that may help you find the best rated dishwasher that money can buy!
Is a dishwasher worth buying?
I didn't grow up with a dishwasher in my house. Unless you count me, my sister and my mom. All dishes were washed by hand and we survived. Of course, we complained a lot, but we still survived. Do you need a dishwasher in your home? Nope. Do you WANT one? Probably! Is a dishwasher worth buying? That depends on how much you want it and whether your budget can afford it.
Is it cheaper to wash dishes or use a dishwasher?
This is always a tricky question. Which one is more frugal or better for the environment? Washing dishes by hand uses considerably more water than most dishwashers do. However, I find that dishwasher liquid is more expensive than regular dish soap. Then, you need to factor in electricity usage as well. Generally speaking, if you choose an energy efficient dishwasher and only run it when it is FULL, it is cheaper to run a dishwasher than wash dishes by hand. Of course, that doesn't really factor in the high cost of the dishwasher itself. Of course, kids are pricey, too, but we generally don't just have them for the sake of clean dishes. There really is no good answer to this one....
Like this post about how to choose the best dishwasher? Try these articles, too!
- DIY Dishwasher Tablets Give You Clean Dishes for Only Pennies!
- 20 Fun DIY IKEA Hacks with Paint to Turn Your Home from Drab to Fab!
- How to Clean Your Dishwasher: The Grimy Reality!
How To Choose The Best Dishwasher For Your Family
What makes a dishwasher worth all the money you spend on it? What are the best dishwasher models on the market? Well, that really depends on your family's needs. The best dishwasher for YOU won't be the best dishwasher for your neighbor. Here are a few characteristics to look for when buying a dishwasher:
Is your kitchen is dishwasher ready?
If not, your options for buying a dishwasher are limited and some home repairs may be needed. Check electrical and water connections. If you don't know what you are doing, hire a professional. Some common home repair fails can lead to serious injury.
Before choosing a dishwasher, measure the space!
There are MANY models and sizes out there. Do not buy one that is too big or too small or you will create a huge hassle for yourself. If you are remodeling, you don't have to buy a large dishwasher. Compact dishwashers are good for smaller spaces and smaller families.
Choose integrated or freestanding dishwashers.
Integrated dishwashers sit underneath an existing counter top. If you have an older home or limited space, you may need a freestanding dishwasher instead.
Make sure it has all of the cycles you want.
Personally, I just hit start and let it run. However, many new dishwasher come with programmable cycles that delay washing. There are also dishwasher cycles for rinse and hold, pots and pans, sanitizing, etc.
Consider stainless steel for the interior tub.
Cheaper models generally have a plastic tub inside. A stainless steel tub will cost you more but it will also last longer. If you are wondering how to choose the best dishwasher, you need to give serious thought to the longevity of the machine.
Look for adjustable upper racks.
Adjustable dishwasher racks are an important key feature to consider when buying a new dishwasher. Different rack heights come in handy when you are washing large items. Look for a height-adjustable rack with quick-release clips to make changing them easier.
Check the decibel level if you are concerned about noise.
Loud dishwashers can really make conversation or even watching television in the next room challenging. If noise is a concern, buy a quiet dishwasher! As an example, a decibel level of 45 or under will be almost silent.
Do you need all the bells and whistles?
New dishwashers come with all sorts of fancy options, however, you will pay for them. These include things like a child-safety lock, anti-flood protection, sensor wash, and detergent sensor. Decide if those are important to you before buying a new dishwasher.
Buying a Dishwasher? Consider the Bosch AutoAir™ Bosch 500 Series
If you are buying a new dishwasher, I highly recommend Bosch. We bought this brand several years ago and have been very happy with it. The Bosch AutoAir™ Bosch 500 Series dishwasher has a lot of the key features I mentioned above that you may really appreciate.
- Offers AutoAir™ Technology: The dishwasher automatically opens the door at the end of the drying cycle. This allows moisture to escape and fresh air to circulate for better drying results.* (*Compared to Bosch Dishwashers with PureDry.)
- Has PrecisionWash sensors: The dishwasher actually checks the progress of dishes throughout the cycle. Powerful spray arms target every item of every load, for better cleaning.
- Provides quiet operation: This dishwasher uses 18 unique sound-reducing technologies and runs at 44 dBA. You will not complain about the noise!
- Large interior space: Bosch AutoAir™ Bosch 500 Series dishwasher offers you the flexibility necessary to accommodate a lot of dishes! It also has a flexible 3rd rack which adds space for cooking utensils and other smaller items.
- It's energy efficient! Every Bosch dishwasher is ENERGY STAR qualified and meets or exceeds federal guidelines, for year-round energy savings.
- Has a sanitize option: This reduces 99.9% of bacteria with a hot-wash rinse for sparkling clean and sanitized dishes.
- Can fit larger items: FlexSpace™ Tines on the lower rack- fold down every other tine in one simple step to make room for larger, bulkier items while optimizing the rack space.
Shopping for a new dishwasher can be intimidating. Choose a dishwasher that's right for you by inspecting your home before you shop. Careful planning and analysis will allow you to find one that best fits your needs. If you're shopping for a dishwasher for the first time in a few years, remember that technology has come a LONG way recently. Buying the best dishwasher for your home is more than just figuring out which color would look best in your kitchen!
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She has two college aged kids, one husband and more pets than she will admit to. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire but left her career in science to become a stay at home mom. Years of playing with LEGO and coloring with crayons had her craving a more grown up purpose to her life and she began blogging and freelance writing full time. You can learn more about her HERE.