Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on February 17, 2019 by Diane Hoffmaster
This post about easy shaving tips for teenage boys has been sponsored. All opinions are my own. he reviewer has been compensated in the form of a Best Buy Gift Card and/or received the product.
I am the proud mom of one teenage boy. If you have sons, you will probably understand the unique challenges that come with raising these testosterone fueled creatures. One of the joys of raising boys is teaching your son to shave. This is not just a one day projects. In fact, I think we have been giving him shaving tips for years! From finding the best razor for guys to wet versus dry shaving, if you are looking for easy shaving tips for teenage boys, keep reading for a few things we have learned over the years. Then, make sure you check out the Philips Norelco - S9000 Prestige Qi-Charge Electric Shaver from Best Buy. Make shaving faster and easier for your teen!
Table of Contents
How do I teach my son to shave?
Teenage boys have some of the same challenges when shaving as adult men. However, they also have some unique issues to address as well. Some things you will have to help him decide. What is the appropriate age for a boy to shave? Honestly, any time between 9 and 15. Talk to him about why he wants to shave and make sure he knows how to get started safely.
My husband and I talked about our son shaving before he started. There was a bit of panic, of course. How do I teach my son to shave? It has been a LONG time since we had to worry about shaving tips for ourselves ourselves! Do some reading, do a bit of shopping, and use trial and error when your son starts shaving!
More Tips for Raising Teenage Boys
- Life Lessons for Boys That Your Son Needs to Know
- Home Odor Control Tips for Families with Stinky Boys!
- Advice for my Son: Those First Few Steps Are Always the Hardest
Easy Shaving Tips for Teenage Boys
My son, that handsome boy up there, goes back and forth between clean shaven and scruffy beard. I think he is attempting to find himself and what he really likes or dislikes about his 'look'. He has a thick beard, although it takes time to grow in still. Here are a few shaving tips we have given him over the last few years:
- When to Start Shaving: Shave when you actually have enough hair to shave off. This could be as early as 9 or as late as 15 or older. You will start out shaving very sporadically, then shave more often as the hair gets thicker.
- When is the best time to shave? The best time to shave is after taking a warm bath or shower to make your skin hydrated and soft.
- What direction should you shave? Go with the grain of your hair, not against it. Shaving downward on the face removes most of the hair. Shaving against the grain (or upward) can cause rashes.
- Use a light touch. Don’t push down too hard with the razor. If you do, you're likely to cut your face.
- Be prepared! You will cut yourself occasionally. Get an antiseptic styptic pencil just in case.
- Take care with sensitive skin. Rinse your face with warm water and use a facial wash with tea tree oil to help kill inflammation-causing bacteria after shaving. Tea tree oil also helps combat acne, which many teens suffer from. Try my homemade shaving cream which may be gentler than the ones you see at the grocery store.
- Pamper your skin after you shave. After shaving, wash your face with soap and water. Apply a moisturizing aftershave product to help condition your skin.
- Be patient. Genetics play a big role in how much hair you have. Your facial hair will come in eventually!
- What type of razor should you use? Whether you choose a traditional razor or an electric one is a big decision. You may even want both, depending on your shaving schedule and desired 'look'.
Choosing an Electric Shaver
When choosing an electric shaver for your son, consider the Philips Norelco - S9000 Prestige Qi-Charge Electric Shaver from Best Buy. The sharp, durable blades support effortless shaving by following the contours of your face and neck. Great for new shavers! The coated rings facilitate smooth gliding for a comfortable experience and hopefully fewer nicks!
The Philips Norelco - S9000 Prestige Qi-Charge Electric Shaver has three settings and an attachable trimmer to maximize styling options. Always important to let teen boys have options when it comes to facial hair! Here are a few more key features:
- Excellent skin comfort system Enables you to get a highly efficient shave even on a longer (up to seven-day) beard.
- Shave wet or dry With S9000 you can shave dry or use water, foam or gel for even better gliding and a smoother skin feeling.
- Washable design simplifies cleanup Features an easy three-step cleaning process.
- Up to 60 minutes of cordless shaving per full charge The high-capacity battery also fully charges in as little as 1 hour.
- Battery indicator Shows when it is time to recharge your shaver.
- NanoTech precision blades Strengthened with thousands of nano particles that cut hair with the highest precision, delivering an extremely close shave at skin level.
- ContourDetect heads Move in 8 directions to follow every contour of your face, even catching hair in hard-to-reach areas like the neck and jawline. Shaving heads are surrounded with SkinComfort rings, which have a special protective coating so the shaver glides smoothly over your skin.
- BeardAdapt sensor Effortlessly shave off even a dense beard. The BeardAdapt sensor checks hair density 15 times per second and automatically adapts the shaver to your hair.
- SmartClick precision trimmer Finish your look with the skin-friendly SmartClick precision trimmer. It is ideal for maintaining your mustache and trimming your sideburns.
- Qi Charger Allows wireless charging
If your son wants to start shaving, talk to him about it! Give him a few easy shaving tips and take him shopping for supplies. Make it a fun experience and then let him explore a few facial hair styles as his beard starts to grow in.
Have any other easy shaving tips for teens that you want to share?
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She has two college aged kids, one husband and more pets than she will admit to. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire but left her career in science to become a stay at home mom. Years of playing with LEGO and coloring with crayons had her craving a more grown up purpose to her life and she began blogging and freelance writing full time. You can learn more about her HERE.