Posts feature partner companies & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on January 11, 2023 by Diane Hoffmaster
One of the best ways to increase your stress level is to be unorganized. Since I am trying to REDUCE the stress in my life, I decided to start looking at the best ways to stay organized this year. Fewer forgotten responsibilities mean less stress.
Getting organized isn't always easy. Like most moms, I get pulled in a thousand different directions every single day. Not only do I have to keep myself organized but I am also in charge of the kids and husband. Sure, they are pretty good at organizing themselves most days, but I still need to keep on top of their activities and to-do lists. And that takes a fair amount of time and energy!
Table of Contents
Best Ways to Stay Organized Even with a Busy Life
If you find yourself as unorganized and stressed out as I have been this past month, never fear! There is help for you yet! Learn how to be more organized at home with these simple tips:
A cluttered house is a great way to lose things like soccer balls, lists, and that oh-so-important paper you need to turn in to your boss. Ditch the clutter in your home for a more organized life.
Make it a goal to declutter your home room by room throughout this year. How do you get started decluttering?
- Don't bring any new items into your home until the decluttering process is complete
- Designate a spot for incoming papers. Invest in a wall-mounted command center. People have a ton of paper clutter. Keep it contained to stay organized.
- Get rid of things you don't use.
- Tackle one item at a time. Don't tackle more than one small area at a time.
- Increase storage in rooms that have too much stuff. Look for coffee tables with drawers and ottomans that have storage space inside.
- Set a 'one in, one out' rule so no NEW clutter enters your home.
- Pick up 5 things, and find places for them. Do this every single day.
- 【Perfect ottoman】Our ottoman has the perfect size and Relaxed color,Length 16 x width 12 x height 10 inches and Grey,It is also a comfortable footstool,Proper size and thickened sponge pad can make him a good footrest,Sitting on the sofa and putting your feet on the ottoman can relax your legs, relax your whole body and enjoy the pleasant time.
- 【Magic storage space】When our storage ottoman is assembled, we have 31L storage space,Put toys, tools, blankets, books, magazines, sports equipment, dog leashes, etc. that can be temporarily used in the room to reduce the clutter
- 【Multipurpose ottoman】Storage ottoman footstool can be used as a coffee table, small seat, chair stool, bed footstool, children's stool, fishing stool, catapult perfect for study, bedroom, living room, student dormitory,etc.
Decluttering your home is seriously one of the best ways to stay organized. It is hard to organize your home when you are inundated with too much stuff. Check out my post about easy home organization tips for more information on staying organized.
Stop Over Scheduling:
There is only so much one person (or one family) can realistically do before things start falling through the cracks of life. One of the best ways to stay organized this year is to cut back on your responsibilities and your kids' activities.
Say no occasionally to the PTA or the church committee. Say no to one more kid activity when they already have 3 that keep you far too busy. Choose a few nights a week where you go absolutely nowhere so you can sit down at your desk and go through your to-do list.
If you are concerned that your kids are missing out on life in your quest to get more organized, don't worry. Fewer commitments for them means less stress for THEM as well. Find a balance that works for your whole family.
Do one thing at a time:
It is easy to get sidetracked when you are trying to get organized. You start to gather a load of laundry, realize you forgot to water the garden, pass the dog on the way outside and decide she needs to be brushed and never actually get back to finishing the laundry.
Choose a task from your to-do list and actually DO it...until it is completed. Then, move on to the next task. One of the best ways to organize your life is to focus on the task at hand.
More Organization Tips to Check Out
- Preserve Your Family Photos and Other Digital Archiving Solutions
- Stock and Organize the Pantry for Healthier Eating
- Basic Computer Maintenance Tips and Cleaning Up Your Digital Life
Write it down.
Don't count on your mental to-do list when you have so many things in your head to think about. Memories lapse and as a result, you may forget something important.
Write down the things that NEED to get done every day. And don't be vague about it. 'Clean the house' is too generic. 'Change the sheets' gives you a specific task to tackle and you can then cross that one thing off your to-do list.
Some people like to use technology and digital calendars. Personally, I like a paper agenda book that I can look at every time I enter the kitchen.
Try several methods and see what works for you. Start a bullet journal to help keep you organized if you love to be artistic and creative with your to-do lists.
- Colebrook, Helen (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 128 Pages - 11/26/2019 (Publication Date) - David & Charles (Publisher)
Learn to Delegate:
If you are a mom, chances are you have kids and/or a significant other living in your home. You are NOT alone and therefore, do not have to tackle every chore on your to-do list by yourself.
Give each child and your partner a list of things to do and let them do it. No, it won't be perfect. There will be smudges on your mirror and dust bunnies in the corner. But, one of the best ways to stay organized at home is to lighten your load. Therefore, give up your need for perfection on your quest for an organized life.
No matter what you find on the Internet, the best ways to stay organized are the ones that work for YOU. Try out new techniques and set goals. See how each new method works for you personally. Share your own best ways to start organizing yourself this year!
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She has two college aged kids, one husband and more pets than she will admit to. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire but left her career in science to become a stay at home mom. Years of playing with LEGO and coloring with crayons had her craving a more grown up purpose to her life and she began blogging and freelance writing full time. You can learn more about her HERE.