Last Updated on April 15, 2020 by Diane Hoffmaster
This post about the best kitchen organizing tips for busy families is sponsored by Best Buy. All opinions are my own.
Whether you have a small home or just a big family, a messy kitchen is stressful. In addition, it tends to get in the way of cooking, family life, and having guests over to visit. Want to get your kitchen organized? Here are a few kitchen tips and hacks to help you stay on top of things in the busiest room in the house!
Why getting your kitchen organized is vital
I have had a lot of life changes in the last year. New job, kids going off to college, a husband who is traveling more. What it all boils down to is a serious lack of time, energy, and ambition for cooking and cleaning. And I am not okay with that.
Like these kitchen organizing tips? Try these kitchen tips, too!
- How to Get Rid of Ants in the Kitchen Read these suggestions to help you rid your kitchen of an ant invasion!
- Make Your Own Kitchen Staples with The DIY Pantry is a great little book to help you learn how to make your own kitchen staples.
- Best Microwave Cooking Tips for Busy Families How do you do more than just reheat leftovers in the microwave? Here are a few microwave cooking tips that may help elevate your food game this month.
I don’t do well with clutter and chaos. I love good food and am passionate about health. Having friends over occasionally is important, however, I don’t want the kitchen to look like a war zone when they visit. So, I am getting the kitchen clean and organized now before holiday entertaining becomes a giant chore rather than something to look forward to.
Best Kitchen Organizing Tips I Have Found
This week, I stood in the kitchen with a critical eye for detail. Kitchen organization is severely lacking in my home. That needs to change. Here are a few kitchen organization tips that I have found and will be implementing in the coming weeks:
Storage is key for organizing
Find innovative ways to store, hide, and otherwise put away things that are on your counter. From water bottle storage trays to plastic bag storage, there are millions of solutions online for kitchen storage ideas.
Maximize Cabinet Space
This isn’t going to be a fast chore, however, declutter the kitchen cabinets. Thin out your coffee mug selection and toss the plastic cups your kids used as toddlers. If you don’t use it, get rid of it.
Keep Your Coffee Area Clean
Seriously. Coffee is like liquid gold and I must have it immediately upon waking. Without having to sort through a pile of last week’s mail to get to it. Set up a coffee bar area with mugs, sugar, coffee maker, filter, and everything else you need for a good cup of joe. Save time on busy mornings with everything is in one place.
Create a smarter kitchen
There are many benefits to a smart kitchen. Whether you want to preheat your oven while you wait in the carpool line or just check to make sure your teenager closed the refrigerator door, smart appliances can make your life easier.
Find Creative Solutions for organizing the kitchen
One of best kitchen tips I found was to do what works for you. Find creative ways to solve home organization problems, even if it seems a bit weird. For example, who says spoons have to go in drawers? Hang your kitchen utensils from a wall mounted kitchen rail.
A few years ago, I turned a door mounted shoe organizer into a plastic wrap/tin foil holder. Then, last year, I bought a plastic roller cart for the dining room to put pantry overflow. I have several more kitchen storage and organization issues that I am eyeing this week. For certain, I will not worry about whether or not it is a bit odd, as long as it works for me and my family.
Clean and organize the Fridge
Put this on your to do list regularly. Throw away expired sauces, half opened things no one wants to finish, and those pickles no one is eating. Every few months, put this in your calendar so you don’t forget to do it again.
Make sure you have a refrigerator that meets all your family’s needs. A small refrigerator means multiple trips to the grocery store every week. Small freezers don’t allow you to batch cook meals and freeze them back for busy weeknights. Upgrade your refrigerator and you save time on cooking, which is a huge perk for busy families.
Upgrading your refrigerator with Bosch
The new Bosch Counter-Depth Refrigerators are a great option if you are looking to upgrade your fridge. They are the perfect balance of form and function, with plenty of space, a seamless fit to the front edge of your cabinets, and all the best refrigerator features for busy families.
If you enjoy enjoy cooking and smart home technology, you will love some of the features available in this refrigerator, including:
- Stainless-steel finish: No matter what your kitchen design is, stainless steel is a classic look that goes with just about everything.
- Touch sensitive controls: Make operation simple.
- Organize contents with ease: Includes 5 tempered glass shelves, 4 of which are adjustable and half-width, 3 gallon door bins and 2 humidity controlled compartments to provide ample space for storing items.
- Internal water dispenser with replacement filter: Delivers filtered water with one touch. Seriously… stop buying that bottled water and get filtered water right out of the fridge without all that plastic waste.
- LED interior lighting: Bright lights to illuminate interior.
- Door alarm: Alerts you when the refrigerator door is accidentally left open to save energy. This will REALLY come in handy to families with kids!
- Automatic ice maker: Provides a steady supply of ice without the mess of having to refill ice trays. My parents still have ice trays…. Who has time for that!!
- Freezer storage: An ingenious three-tier layered freezer drawer system creates extra storage for frozen items, from pizza boxes to frozen waffles.
- Organize your fridge in new ways. FlexBar™ creates extra space in your refrigerator – it’s the perfect home for wine bottles, condiment jars, eggs, and more.
Save Time and Keep Food Fresh Longer!
How much time and money have you wasted on spoiled food? The new Bosch Counter-Depth Refrigerators use the FarmFresh System™ . It combines four innovative technologies to keep your food fresh up to 3x longer, for less food wasted. ( *As compared to a Bosch refrigerator without FarmFresh System™. Results may vary among different foods.)
If you are trying to get your kitchen organized, find the balance of form and function that works best for your busy family. Follow some of these kitchen organizing tips. Clear the clutter, work on a menu plan for busy weeknights, and stop letting a disorganized kitchen prevent you from enjoying family meals and inviting friends over. Check out HGTV for more great kitchen organizing tips.
Diane is a professional blogger and nationally certified pharmacy technician at Good Pill Pharmacy. She has two college aged kids, one husband and more pets than she will admit to. She earned her BS in Microbiology at the University of New Hampshire but left her career in science to become a stay at home mom. Years of playing with LEGO and coloring with crayons had her craving a more grown up purpose to her life and she began blogging and freelance writing full time. You can learn more about her HERE.