Ever since my daughter was little she has had the occasional digestive complaint. Seeing as I myself am constantly battling this issue and my dad has Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) I figure there is a little bit of genetics going on here. Digestive health is an issue that I have discussed with her on several occasions. She is almost a teenager now and it is important that she starts taking responsibility for her own digestive health and not rely on me to make all of her decisions for her. There are several ways to improve your child’s digestive health so that you have fewer complaints from your kids about stomach problems. Here are a few tips that might come in handy:
Easy Tips For Digestive Health
1. Make sure you kids get enough water. That doesn’t mean they should be drinking juice, milk and soft drinks all the time! Good digestive health means plenty of plain old fashioned water!
2. Get your kids moving: Exercise is great for a child’s metabolism but also helps keep the muscles of the digestive tract moving, too. A lifestyle that is too stationary (ie too many video games and TV!) can lead to poor digestive health as well.
3. Make sure they get enough fiber: This is a really important one! In order for kids to have good digestive health, they must get plenty of high fiber foods. That includes things like fruit, veggies, whole grains, seeds, nuts, etc. Make them fun…give kids apples with the skin on to dip in peanut butter or whole grain bread with strawberry cream cheese.
4. Give them yogurt! Yogurt is a great way to improve your child’s digestive health because it is loaded with probiotics to help keep the gut healthy. Make sure you find one that says ‘contains live and active cultures’ to see the most benefit.
5. Give them a probiotic supplement like Culturelle. Probiotics are the living organisms in yogurt that make it so good for a child’s digestive health. However, probiotics are a much more concentrated dose of living organism that is much more effective than just plain yogurt. It is also great for kids who don’t care for yogurt or are lactose intolerant and won’t try the non dairy versions. You can find Culturelle for kids as a packet of powder or a chewable tablet, depending on the age of your child. They are both dairy and gluten free if you have a child with special dietary needs. They also have a supplement for grownups because digestive health isn’t just something that kids need to worry about!
Enter the Culturelle All Stars Contest!
Check out Culturelle on Facebook to enter to contest and then Grab a $5.00 coupon!
I have been given the opportunity to give one of my readers the following Culturelle prize pack: