This easy dinner recipe is made possible with product samples from Salba Chia but all opinions expressed are my own.
I try very hard to eat healthy on a semi regular basis. I provide healthy snacks like fruit and yogurt for my kids, we eat veggies at least once a day and we limit fast food to the occasional busy lunchtime treat. However, my kids are just like everyone else’s in that they LOVE junkfood. The want pop tarts and candy and kid’s meals just like every other kid in America. I have been working to find a balance that we are both happy with. They want classic ‘junk food’ and I want ‘healthier options’. Sometimes I hit upon an idea for a recipe that we can both be happy with and these Mexican Chicken Tenders are an easy dinner recipe that is also much healthier than the fast food your kids are probably begging for.
For this easy dinner recipe I used organic chicken breasts that were coated with a crumb mixture of Salba Chia tortilla chips, fresh cilantro and fajita seasoning mix. Processed in the Cuisinart food processor it only took a few seconds to make. Salba Chia tortilla chips are organic and Non GMO project verified. The chia seeds make them high in Omega fatty acids and they are packed full of nutrients. They recently won the 2013 SELF Healthy Food Award and were featured in the June edition of Self Magazine. I paired the Mexican Chicken Tenders with Salba Chia Salsa for an additional kick of nutrition. My kids were happy with my easy dinner recipe and *I* was happy to offer them a nutritious meal that they didn’t complain about!
Easy Dinner Recipe: Mexican Chicken Tenders
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 bag (7 ounces) Salba Chia Tortilla Chips
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp fajita seasoning
- 1 egg
- 2 TBSP milk
- olive oil for coating cookie sheet
- Salba Chia Salsa for dipping
- In a food processor, combine the Salba Chia tortilla chips, cilantro and fajita seasoning. Pulse until completely mixed and resembles course crumbs. Put onto a shallow plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and the milk
- Dip each chicken strip in the egg mixture, then coat with crumbs and place on a cookie sheet coated with olive oil
- Bake chicken at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until done, turning over half way through.
- Serve with salsa for dipping.
Do you have any easy dinner recipes that your kids don’t even suspect are healthy?