When I was growing up my mom used to love making stuffed peppers. I actually cannot remember what she stuffed them WITH but I remember eating them a fair amount. I decided to play around with a combination of sweet and spicy flavors as a filling to this recipe. I used a spicy Italian sausage but you could use ground beef or ground turkey if you wanted. You would need to add a bit more flavor and heat, though, to give the filling a kick. These stuffed peppers fed my family of 4 for 2 nights. I used some pretty big peppers and still had a little bit of filling left over.
Sweet and Spicy Stuffed Peppers
- 6 to 8 large bell peppers, tops removed and deseeded
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 1 pound ground pork sausage (hot)
- 1 8 ounce package of Wholly Guacamole mango salsa
- 1¼ cups shredded cheddar
- 4 – 6 slices jalapeno cheddar or jalapeno jack cheese for topping
- When you have the peppers deseeded, washed and the tops removed, place them in a microwave safe dish with 2 inches of water in the bottom. Microwave 4 to 6 minutes just to get them slightly cooked.
- In a large cast iron pan over medium heat, cook the sausage until done, making sure it is crumbly. Drain and rinse. Add back the the pan and add salsa, cooked rice and cheddar cheese. Mix well
- Place 2 inches of water in a 13 x 9 inch pan. place peppers in the pan and fill each one completely with the sausage, rice mixture. Top each one with a piece of cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted.